Saturday, April 20, 2013

Random Pictures from along Sovietskaya

July 2, 2008

Today I walked to the Central Post Office and back - 30 minutes one way along Sovietskaya, the main north-south road through Bishkek. It was burning hot, but a gorgeous day. Of course, I took some photos... and here they are:

 photo 1bish_zps9917fcb7.jpg
See what's on top of that blue(ish) building? No? Scroll down.
 photo 2bish_zpsbc9fac53.jpg
Dolphins!

 photo 3bish_zps85abd82f.jpg
A very dry fish fountain

 photo 4bish_zps3602c58e.jpg
Many waterless fountain fish, gasping for air

 photo 5bish_zps01764df3.jpg
It's not an open sewer... but it's not exactly clean water either.
Starting last month, the previously bone-dry ditches along every road in the city began to flow with water of dubious quality.

 photo 6bish_zpsdbc89f3a.jpg
Yay :-)

 photo 7bish_zps5fe8ed6b.jpg
This building has always intrigued me, although I'd never photographed it before. It's not really in a decent place for getting full shots of it. It's currently a sports center, but I wonder what it was originally...

 photo 8bish_zps508849aa.jpg
A closer look

 photo 9bish_zps39fe0ee2.jpg
The sign says "Boxing Hall"

 photo 10bish_zps7112c134.jpg
This little thing on the roof is fabulous

Meanwhile, this is NOT fabulous:
 photo 11bish_zps6249d13b.jpg
I took one look at this sign (they're all over town) and every fibre of my body screamed "SCAM!" He claims to be a millionaire representing the International Academy of Financial Success, and he's here to teach the Kyrgyz how to become millionaires. You know, for a fee.

 photo 12bish_zps1ad4f3ed.jpg
I wouldn't trust this man as far as I could throw him, and we all know that ain't far! Plus, he apparently got arrested trying to sneak into Russia from Ukraine with forged papers.

 photo 13bish_zps53cd60cd.jpg
And the logo here just screams "pyramid scam" to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment