Friday, November 16, 2012

Culinary Catastrophe

January 21, 2008

I should’ve paid more attention back when I was hanging around my Russian host mother’s kitchen every day. Something she used to make me quite frequently was fried tvorog, which I would eat topped with either jam or honey. Now, perhaps someone who knows what tvorog is can help me explain. I’ve seen it translated as cottage cheese, but it is very much NOT cottage cheese. However, I would say that tvorog has as much in common with normal cheese as does cottage cheese, if that makes sense. Anyway, it’s in the cheese family. A cousin, perhaps. I found a wide selection of tvorog in Ramstor the other day and decided to try my hand at frying some up. (I’m not a big fan of uncooked tvorog.) As far as I remember, my host mother simply used to pour some oil in a pan, drop in the tvorog, and a few minutes later there would be some tasty fried tvorog patties, ready to be smeared with jam or honey.

Photobucket
So, I bought my tvorog...

Photobucket
and my honey...

...and tried my best to repeat the process.
Photobucket

Unfortunately, what I got was this:
Photobucket
I smothered it with honey and ate it anyway,
but it was thoroughly unappetizing. Yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment