Thursday, May 2, 2013

Carry-on to Kyrgyzstan

I leave for Kyrgyzstan in less than a week - meaning that I am totally packed and ready to go right now. I am an obsessive packer and re-packer (at least when I'm getting ready to go somewhere exciting), and I've been working on my packing list for some time now. I may have had some items in the suitcase for over a month or so at this point. :-)

I'm flying in on Turkish Airlines. As you may remember, I took Turkish Airlines the last time I flew to Kyrgyzstan - which was all well and good until they lost one of my suitcases and took over a week to get it to me. Now, if I'm moving somewhere, and am therefore traveling with two ginormous suitcases full of everything I could possibly need (and will be living close to the airport), being out one suitcase for more than a week isn't the end of the world. When I'm only planning on bringing one bag and when I'm planning on spending the first two weeks in-country traveling all over the place (ie, nowhere near the airport), if my bag doesn't arrive with me, this would be pretty problematic. As such, I've decided to bring only a carry-on. Plus my camera backpack as my "personal item." I'm kind of stretching things a bit, and I am seriously hoping I don't get forced to check anything, but in theory I should be OK. I should also mention that while I'm going to be racing around the country for the first two weeks, I'll be spending the following nine weeks being relatively sedentary, living out in the boonies, and teaching English. As such, I have to pack work-acceptable clothing and some teaching materials as well.

I'll update you when I get back on how the whole carry-on thing worked, as well as on what I forgot/wished I'd brought/wished I'd left at home/etc. But for now, here's what I'm packing:

 photo 1backpacks_zpse4d40f2f.jpg
This shot is for scale, so you can see the size of my two bags relative to my full-sized bed.

 photo 2backpacks_zps4b88d31c.jpg
The bag on the left is a camera/laptop bag, the CompuDayPack by Lowepro. I'm actually not bringing my laptop on this trip, but this is a great DSLR + other stuff backpack and I love it. The bag on the right is the Osprey Porter 46, which I bought after reading this review. Supposedly it works as a carry-on. We'll see. I plan on checking it on my way home, but I really want it on board with me on my way there.

 photo 5backpacks_zps023fba24.jpg
The bottom half of the CompuDayPack is a camera bag, home to my DSLR, extra lens, power converter, and various chargers.

 photo pack2_zps59907ae0.jpg
The top-front portion is pretty much a typical backpack - good for travel papers, face-wipes, my point-n-shoot, my glasses, memory cards, and the annoying ziploc baggie of allowed toiletries.

 photo pack22_zps68e0dcdc.jpg
Point-n-shoot.

 photo pack30_zps74447656.jpg
Spare pair of glasses, prescription sunglasses

 photo pack31_zps76e8e186.jpg
Lots of memory!

 photo pack6_zps9080f03a.jpg
I'm obsessed with the kind of facewash I use. I've used it since I was 16 or so. Sadly, it's not TSA carry-on compliant, so I'm bringing this stuff instead. Not sure how I feel about this.

 photo pack5_zpsa4af0bf2.jpg
The space that's supposed to be for a laptop is pretty good for storing various other stuff.

 photo pack1_zps3d0ac569.jpg
There's the ubiquitous ziploc baggie of toiletries. 

 photo pack4_zpsd6cb3b11.jpg
And this is the other stuff located in the laptop compartment: non-liquid toiletrees (bandaids, pain patches, etc), pens, guidebook, Kindle, notebooks, and teaching materials.

This bag will also be home to my umbrella, passport and travel documents, and my ipod.

Now let's take a look at the other bag:

 photo pack3_zps6f6faad2.jpg
The top pocket is really small. I'm using it for some of my OTC meds.

 photo pack9_zpsecc180d2.jpg
NyQuil, DayQuil, and Pepto
If this trip is anything like my last one, that probably isn't enough Pepto.

 photo 3backpacks_zps1f9cbeab.jpg
I love the fact that it's a top-loader.

 photo pack8_zps4a7f5162.jpg
Large purse and mini-backpack. 

 photo pack7_zps388b9555.jpg
White-board markers and spare batteries. (I mentioned that I'll be teaching, right?)

 photo pack17_zps4fdf7cfd.jpg
Lighting. Electricity wasn't the most reliable the last time I was there; I plan on being prepared. Wind-up lantern, wind-up headlamp, battery powered headlamp. I wrote a whole post on these gadgets a while back over on my other blog.

 photo pack12_zps4c761e7c.jpg
Hand-crank generator (in case I desperately need to charge my camera batteries) and power-strip with USB adapters for charging various things when I *do* have electricity. It plugs into my power converter. (I really only want use the hand-crank in emergency situations because it takes forever to charge anything. Dead camera batteries would, however, constitute an emergency.)

 photo pack15_zps0757fbf2.jpg
Dictionaries!

 photo pack20_zpsf14bf6d9.jpg
Photos. I am a huge believer of using photographs when teaching English.

 photo pack14_zpsee5889b2.jpg
I also think that Ziploc baggies are incredibly useful things to bring when you travel. Great for snacks, great for using in the classroom, great for waterproofing your stuff - and hard to find when you're in K-stan.

 photo pack13_zpseba857bd.jpg
A good пакет (plastic bag) is an essential item for traveling in the FSU, thus the inclusion of the blue Aldi bag. I promise that the bathing suit actually looks awesome on me - although it looks awful on the bed like that. (I know I'll be swimming in Issyk-Kul!) The orange thing is a sarong. Great for the beach, can double as a towel or skirt or dress....

 photo pack18_zps3bba640d.jpg
Sea-to-Summit DryLite MicroTowel and body scrubber thing.
This towel is more like a chamois for your body than a towel, but it takes up very little space, and it dries quickly.

 photo pack16_zps77d276be.jpg
I should mention that I'm not really bringing shoes. I'm bringing flip flops and Tevas. In case of a cold snap, I'm bringing a few pairs of socks and will be one of those people committing the fashion faux pas of wearing Tevas with socks. Seriously, I don't have room for shoes and lots of socks.

 photo pack21_zps07d1c113.jpg
More OTC meds.

 photo pack25_zpsf541681b.jpg
More OTC meds, dry bodywash, and enough birth control to skip my period for three months. Seriously, I am not dealing with that while I am living in rural Kyrgyzstan.

 photo pack28_zpsba59ad66.jpg
Clothing pic 1: two sun dresses, a long black skirt, two light-weight sweaters, two dress shirts (can be worn over the dresses), five t-shirts (can be worn over the dresses), jeans, and sleepwear consisting of shorts, cotton pants, and a t-shirt.

 photo pack28b_zps43cee3c3.jpg
Clothing pic 2: two more sundresses, jeans, thick leggings

 photo pack24_zps298c81ed.jpg
Clothing pic 3: two headscarves, six pairs of undies, two pairs of socks.

 photo pack26_zpscd737f6b.jpg
Alarm clock and razors.

 photo pack27_zpsd9dd53bf.jpg
Mini white-board. That's my lens cap next to it for scale.

 photo pack29_zps6a1258ae.jpg
Portable speaker by Kinivo - battery powered and rechargeable, although the batteries on these babies last a long time. I'm also a huge believer of using music in the classroom, so a speaker to attach to my ipod is an absolute must.

Lastly, this is what I'm wearing on the plane:

 photo wearing_zps9e650607.jpg
Jeans, blouse (which matches the packed sundresses), warm sweater, and Tevas. (They're the Teva Women's Kokomo - really comfortable and sturdy, and can pass as dressy if need be.)

Additional items not included on the original list: Imodium, umbrella, knee braces, earrings, hairties

2 comments:

  1. You are an extremely efficient packer.

    Now, I can't leave it at that or I will sound like a spammer. So I'll add--can I ask why you aren't taking one razor base and multiple heads? Just curious.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Er, because those are the razors I always use? I don't know why I've never gotten into the whole disposable-head razor thing; I always use Schick Extreme (3 or 4) disposables.

    ReplyDelete