Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Kyrgyz Pavaratti

April 30, 2008

This is from last weekend, but I've only just now gotten around to uploading all the video clips necessary for this post. Last Sunday was the 25th anniversary performance of Сталбек Алмасбеков (Stalbek Almasbekov), the premier opera singer of Kyrgyzstan. He's also the father of one of my former students. This student now studies with M, and decided to invite both of us to his father's performance. We received free tickets and prime seats in the fifth row, center. Too bad I'm rather a philistine and not all that big into opera. Anyway, while I'm certainly no judge of operatic quality, he seemed to be an exceptional singer. I took numerous photos (below), although since it *was* opera after all, I took some videos as well, and have uploaded three short clips to YouTube. The show consisted of two abridged operas, Сельская честь (Village Honor) and Паяцы (Pagliacci).
 photo 1opera_zps50a60802.jpg
Stalbek Almasbekov sings Village Honor

Stalbek Almasbekov sings Village Honor

Stalbek Almasbekov sings Village Honor

Stalbek Almasbekov sings Pagliacci

No comments:

Post a Comment