Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A walk last Sunday

April 9, 2008

Last Saturday here in Bishkek the weather was abysmal, and I stayed indoors most of the day. In contrast, Sunday was perfect: warm, sunny, with clear blue skies... the perfect day for a walk. So I took one. And, as you might suspect, I took a lot of photographs. Some are similar to those I took on my very first excursion into Downtown Bishkek way back in, although now shown in the light of spring rather than under a blanket of snow. Others are of entirely new sights. Either way, enjoy!

Photobucket
Square honoring the Martyrs of the (Communist) Revolution

Photobucket
Ditto.

Photobucket
Up close and personal...

Photobucket
...and likewise.

Photobucket
Mmmmm, green.

Photobucket
I really like this house a lot.

Photobucket
Legendary Kyrgyz hero, Manas, [wikipedia entry]
who once carried his horse over a rough mountain pass.

Photobucket
A closer look.

Photobucket
The White House.
No, seriously, that's what the Kyrgyz President calls his office.

Photobucket
Erkendik Park, a nice pedestrian park/boulevard downtown

Photobucket
Some kind of drama theater.

Photobucket
It had interesting detail work...

Photobucket
...and awesome columns...

Photobucket
...and one supercool light fixture.

Photobucket
The bizarre and rather unkempt circus facility
looks an awful lot like a flying saucer.

Photobucket
Cork, Cork, are you there?

Photobucket
The Russian Orthodox cathedral on Jibek-Jolu Street
is really beautiful. And you know how I love onion domes.

Photobucket
At some point they started building a rear addition to the church,
but it seems that construction has halted.

Photobucket
This was nice, if you go in for that sort of thing. Unfortunately, you can only find it by climbing in through the rubble of the ill-fated "construction" at the rear of the church.

Photobucket
I liked this picture too, even though it's not really my cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. Just a little comment.
    This guy with the horse on top is actually not Manas, but called Kojumkul baatyr(Кожумкул баатыр).
    If you know russian, you can easily google him, e.g.
    http://www.time.kg/index.php?newsid=1280

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone actually told me that when I first posted this on its original blog... but I wanted to keep the text "authentic" and keep it to what I'd written originally. Also, I'd forgotten the name Кожумкул баатыр :-) Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete